Lifestyle

How to keep your new year’s resolution.

February 11, 2018

When old habits die hard Toronto’s Best Life Coach, Giovanni Maccarrone, says a good way to keep your new year’s resolution is with a positive attitude and by setting realistic goals.

“You should never set a goal because someone else tells you to or because you think it’s what you should do,” he says.

Maccarrone, who’s helped hundreds of clients achieve their personal goals and keep their resolutions, says a successful goal is 80% psychology (the attitude you have towards your goal) and 20% mechanics (understanding the actual steps needed to realize the goal).

Giovanni Maccarrone, A Toronto Life Coach, shares his tips for keeping those new year’s resolutions

“Anyone can set a goal and understand the steps needed to achieve it, but it’s when you actually want to see a change in your life that you’ll keep your goal and it will eventually become a positive habit,” he says.

To help you stay on track with your new year’s resolutions, the Toronto Life Coach shares these tips:

Change your language:

Maccarrone says using positive words to describe your new year’s resolution can help you stick with it.

“People often say ‘I want to lose weight’ well human beings don’t generally like to lose anything, so how can someone expect to successfully achieve a goal when they use these negative associations?”

The life coach emphasizes the importance of using positively charged words and phrases instead. “Saying ‘I”m going to get into the best shape of my life’ is a much better incentive.”

Be genuine:

According to Giovanni, many people give up on their resolutions early on because they were never genuinely inspired to make the change in the first place.

“Don’t let inauthentic emotions push you… if you want to change something in your life it’s because you genuinely want to… don’t follow the crowds or do something because you heard someone like Dr. Oz say you should.”

Set goals that motivate you, explains Maccarrone. “If you have little interest in the outcome of your goal then you won’t follow the steps to success.”

keep your new year's resolutions

When setting a goal or a new year’s resolution, Giovanni Maccarrone says you should only set goals you genuinely want to achieve

Seek out an expert:

For those of us who make the same new year’s resolutions with no results, Giovanni recommends reaching out to an expert, like a life coach, for some personal coaching.

“As a life coach I make dreams come true,” he says, “My role is to give my clients the tips and tools to help them achieve their goals and improve personal growth.”

Maccarrone, who’s worked with actors, athletes, and entrepreneurs, says a successful life coach can empower clients to make positive changes and can instill transferable skills to help them in all areas of their life.

Change the attitude:

According to Maccarrone, when you eliminate the negative emotions associated with a particular goal, the goal becomes less daunting.

“Let’s say your new year’s resolution is to work out more, you know its good for you but you still dissuade yourself from doing it because you feel tired after work… you need to get rid of that negative emotion and replace it with something positive.”

Instead, Maccarrone says those looking to ‘work out more’ as part of that resolution should view exercising as an activity that gives you more energy and makes you feel better.

“Overall, focus on how good the action feels and always have the positive result in mind. Focus on the results, not just the process.”

keep your new year's resolution

Giovanni Maccarrone says a positive attitude can help you maintain your new year’s resolution.

Understand the mechanics:

When you’ve finally committed to setting a goal you need to know the right steps to achieve positive results explains Maccarrone.

“If your goal is to get fit you have to understand what to do to acheive your fitness goal. You have to do research to understand what foods to eat, how to exercise and how to let your muscles recover.”

According to the life coach, putting in the research and sticking to a successful plan keeps you organized and on track of your journey.

Just do it:

When you really want to make a change in your life Maccarrone says there will be a feeling of pleasure or happiness associated with achieving this goal and that’s when you know it’s time to act.

Don’t be discouraged:

According to some experts, most resolutions fail by mid-February but Maccarrone says those who’ve set goals and haven’t seen their desired results yet shouldn’t give up.

“When people are not getting the results they want or have taken a step back and feel discouraged, they basically have two choices they can play the victim by making a big deal out of the setback, or they can realize that this side step is incredibly small and a little step in the right direction is all you need to get your results.”

Maccarrone also encourages goal-setters to be patient and to re-assess the steps they’re taking to achieve and keep their resolutions.

“…sometimes you just need to be consistent and give it a bit more time and sometimes you have to do a bit more research or ask a few more people to tweak your strategies,” he says.

According to the Toronto Life Coach, if a strategy is not working it’s time to change it in order to actualize your goal. “Doing the same wrong thing over and over again does not make you a hero.”

You don’t have to wait till January 1st:

Many of us chose January first as the start day to get fit, quit smoking or work towards that promotion but Giovanni says resolutions can be set anytime.

“You can set goals every day!  Your goals can be as simple as ‘I’m having a great workout today’ or ‘I’m going to meet someone new at the party,'” he says.

keep your new year's resolution

Toronto Life Coach, Giovanni Maccarrone, says goals can be set year-round not just on January 1st.

Giovanni also emphasizes the importance of striving for happiness as a resolution. He says “happiness is important because success without fulfillment is failure.”

Making changes and keeping those new year’s resolutions can be difficult but Giovanni reminds us that if at first you don’t succeed try and try again – and refer back to some of the tips listed above for some added help.

To learn more about Toronto’s best Life Coach Giovanni Maccarrone, and how he continues to transform lives, check out his YouTube video.

You Might Also Like

50 Comments

• Reply Joyce Hammil February 12, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Hi there,

I happened to stumble upon your post from Google- I am having issues sticking or being motivated to keep up with my new year’s resolution which is losing weight (I guess I should change my language now that i’ve read your article lol… I mean, getting fit) So I appreciate a post like this and commentary from a Life Coach. I see you don’t mention anything about making lists or charts or making a written plan to help you achieve your goal is there a specific reason for this?

Joyce

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 12, 2018 at 11:52 pm

Great job Joyce, and good eye :). You’re right, I didn’t say anything in the article about making lists or charts as we do that in a session. I aimed to give people some of the positive psychology to succeed, then the rest we do during a session :).

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for reading and thank you for your commentary. I find lists and planners so useful for really anything in life! It’s a great way to stay motivated and accountable for your goals. Whether you perform this task with the help of an expert or you do it yourself, I think a written plan is always a great way to achieve and track your resolutions 🙂

• Reply Susannah February 12, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Putting a positive spin on goals would make a huge difference!

• Reply Lambam February 12, 2018 at 6:15 pm

This is so beautiful and exclusive! I believe in my goals , but sometimes in journey of life , we see some curve balls that discourages is, with this article, I am more motivated to keep moving . 👍👍👍

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 12, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Keep moving Lambam! We all get off track from our journey at times. We just modify something little and get back on 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:25 pm

How right you are! Life is never easy we just have to push through the negative and work towards the positive 🙂

• Reply Lucy February 12, 2018 at 6:24 pm

This is great advice! I always set my goals with positive language 💗

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for reading, I’m glad you found the article useful and it seems like you’re already on the right track!

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 12, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Yes! It actually works Lucy 🙂

• Reply Fefe Linza February 13, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I can totally attest to dropping off from the resolution trail in February. I am not interested in my resolution anymore… maybe i’m stuck on my own ways, or maybe (like you mention in your article) I was never really interested in fulfilling my resolution it in the first place. Some nice advice here, I never thought about changing your language as a way to keep your goal but it makes sense. Nice post, sharing it!

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 13, 2018 at 4:17 pm

You’re right Fefe, maybe you were neve really interested in fulfilling the resolution in the first place. Whenever we do something, it’s best to find out the real & genuine reasons why we’re doing them. Then it’s important to see if doing it would conflict with another belief is what we called “conflicting beliefs”.

Only when everything aligns do we commit and move :).

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Thank you for being so candid. I have also had moments where I wasn’t interested in my resolution anymore and stoping working towards it. I think, as Giovanni mentions, I was never motivated in the first place and so that desire went away. We’re all human and we all make mistakes. We just have to find out what we really want to achieve and go after it!

• Reply KAti February 13, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Great insight! I’ve been reading a lot of motivational books and listening to talks, so this is right up my ally! I subscribed to your blog! 🙂

• Reply Emily February 13, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I love your insight about changing our attitude. I am focusing on how productive and happy I feel instead of focusing on the pressure to accomplish something!

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 13, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Great work Emily! 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:30 pm

Yes, your comment is everything! Don’t feel stressed just focus on you, your journey and your happiness. Wishing you so much success!

• Reply Nicole February 13, 2018 at 6:58 pm

These are such great ideas! I have to admit that I didn’t make resolutions this year. Usually, I make a tonne, but I never manage to stick to any of them (after reading this I have a few ideas about why that is), so this year I decided to try something different, and I made some “non-resolutions” – things I wouldn’t be doing this year. I think maybe your suggestion to change the language ties into my non-resolutions. I’m so overwhelmed, so I couldn’t think of adding something more to do, so I focused on taking things off my plate (most of which are cleverly disguised personal development goals). I like the idea of the positive language – makes a huge difference I bet.

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 13, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Great work Nicole! Deciding what we’re not going to do is also a great resolution. Yes changing your language is key as you’ve been successfully doing 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I love it! “Non-resolutions” This makes the notion of sticking to a resolution less daunting. It’s all about the language 🙂

• Reply Lisa R February 13, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Angela aka Ms. Fablane, I am so proud of you and how far you’ve come in these short months of launching your blog. You are producing content that is useful, important and very current. I know success is just around the corner for you. I so look forward to your posts keep it up!

In regards to this article, well done. You write so well, and as always I appreciate the expert commentary. I decided to quit smoking 10 years ago with many failed attempts before that… but as you mention in the post I wasn’t ready to quit until I was. I remember it so clearly, I found out I was pregnant and it just so happened to line up with the start of the new year, my little growing baby was reason enough to quit and I made it my new year’s resolution. I’ve never looked back.

Resolutions are important if they truly matter. Always do things for yourself 🙂

With Love,
    Lisa 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Lisa I love you!! Thank you for your encouragement for your support and for always believing in me 🙂 I am so proud of you for quitting and for sticking to it. You are right, we often need a legitimate reason to change something.

• Reply Amber February 13, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Those are some great tips! I never thought of the way I say a goal and how I can change the wording around to help!

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 13, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Yes the wording is so important. Great work Amber! 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:43 pm

It’s crazy, isn’t it!? Until I started working on this article I didn’t realize how important language and a positive mindset can be. Thank’s for reading!

• Reply Jen Spitzel February 13, 2018 at 8:35 pm

“People often say ‘I want to lose weight’ well human beings don’t generally like to lose anything, so how can someone expect to successfully achieve a goal when they use these negative associations?” –> this is the quote of the new year! I never thought of it like this but wow it makes so much sense!! Everything in this world is about energy and positive energy will sew positive results.

I so love that you didn’t just add your two cents, that’s the problem with most bloggers who have no real professional background they position themselves as experts but I notice that you speak to actual experts, it’s really refreshing 🙂

• Reply Doreen February 13, 2018 at 11:29 pm

These are great tip! I love the idea of eliminating negative emotions and replacing them with the positives. I might just have to redo my resolutions for this year. Thanks for sharing

• Reply cindy February 14, 2018 at 10:29 am

These are great advice, I love the fact that you mentioned, “don’t be discourage”, When a person is discouraged achieving your resolutions or plans for the year will not be a success

• Reply Christine Sabatore February 15, 2018 at 1:42 pm

I think there are instances where you genuinely want to change but fear holds you back. I know there were times in my life where I wanted yo ask for a promotion at work but I never could. I wanted it, I knew I deserved it but physically I could not do it, do you know why this is?

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 15, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Great question Christine :). Yes I do know why that is. We call it “fear” like it’s something outside of ourselves. It’s only because people picture a disaster happening if it doesn’t work out, so obviously they get scared.

In terms of asking for a raise or succeeding in other areas of your life, we sometimes need to know the steps on HOW to do it. Nobody teaches us how to correctly ask for a raise, so that’s where I come in and teach my clients both the mentality and those skills :).

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:48 pm

I can attest to having fear hold me back. Giovanni makes an excellent point, we picture the worst thing happening and we stop ourselves from doing it. Asking for a raise is awkward and as Giovani mentions there are steps one can take to get there.

• Reply Kamoy February 17, 2018 at 12:11 am

Great article! I really connected with what Life Coach Giovanni had to say about the language that we choose. I’m figuring out that what I focus on expands. So if I’m looking to succeed at any goal I’ve set for myself I have to look at the best that will come from it. Thank you so much for sharing and featuring this great write up, many of us Ned help to stay on track for our new year’s goals. Having Giovanni’s keen insights and helpful strategies are definitely going to help me continue forward!

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 17, 2018 at 3:06 pm

You deserve all the success you’re having Kamoy! Yes language is so important. You nailed it right on the head that what you focus on expands as you’ve successfully been doing 🙂
      Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone recently posted…Life Coach – How To Motivate Yourself To Lose Weight FastMy Profile

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Aww what a lovely comment 🙂 You’re so right, we often need a little reminder and maybe even a kick in the back to get back on track. I think this is something we all struggle with so it was a no-brainer to feature someone like Giovanni to share his insight.

• Reply Sylvia M February 17, 2018 at 1:11 am

As I’m reading this article Giovanni, I can tell that you are a different kind of life coach. One who is very intuitive and very much cares for his clients.
    Keep up the good work coach!

• Reply lau February 19, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Iso true and useful tips! if only i could stick to them… btw, loved your blog and name!

xx
    lau

• Reply Life Coach Toronto Giovanni Maccarrone February 21, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I’m happy you got a lot out of this article! 🙂

• Reply angelahoyos February 22, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for reading, Maybe try some of the recommendations and see if that changes your outcome 🙂 Thank you, growing up my nickname was “Fabulous” so I wanted to incorporate that into my blog haha!